It’s here!!!!!! Finally, after three weeks, my is here. The company was having a hard time with back orders from Japan, . It looks gorgeous!!! I can’t believe how long it is too!! I can’t wait to start styling the wig!!! I have to braid the wig then cut and style the bangs. I’ve never cut bangs before so I’m really nervous. But I’m excited and know it’ll turn out well.
Monthly Archives: July 2010
Well my Sheeta costume is nearly done. The pants are complete and just as awesome as I’d hoped. The shirt is another story. I thought I had the shirt nearly perfect, but I was wrong. Turns out the shirt ended up being too short waisted. On top of that, the pants don’t go up high enough to compensate for the shirt and I’m out of the shirt fabric. ;_; Not to mention that I’m pretty much out of money because I have to pay for the convention pass as well as have a bit of spending money for the convention.
To help with my problem, I made the belt a bit bigger than need be. I’m also considering adding hooks and eyes to the bottom of the top and the top of the bottoms. Hopefully that should keep the shirt where it needs to be without pulling on the pants too much, though I fear the latter to be the actual case. My other option is to attach the belt to the top somehow without making the attachment permanent. I was thinking of using either hooks and eyes or snaps to this idea.
Other than that, my project is going well. So far, except for the mishaps, it’s turned out better than anticipated. I was a little worried about using the patterns I chose, especially since I had to modify them moderately. They turned out so much better than my fears allotted. I just have to remember that collars adjust the length of a garment by at least two inches. Life lessons, those are well learned and adapted.
Finally I got all the fabric and materials for Toph’s Fire Nation disguise. Well, all the materials except for the wig. Darn thing needs to get here sooner.
So far I have yet to start working on the project. I’ve decided to use cotton fabric for the outfit as cotton hangs better and is easier to wear in the heat of summer. Also it’s something that I think goes in accordance with the series.
As for the pattern, I’ve decided to use pattern number M6083. View A-C are so perfect for Toph’s costume. I am using a modified version of view B. It fit’s best. I only have to shorten the leg length and maybe take in some of the ease. Other than that it’s perfect!
I decided how I’m going to style the wig. I found a video on Youtube that details how to make a nearly perfect Toph hairstyle out of one wig. So instead of the usual two, I only bought one black wig. With it I’m going to create a modified version of this hairstyle.
I just have to flatten the back a bit and I’m done.
Other than that there’s not much else to say. I’m super excited to start this project. I can’t wait to get it finished. Then I can wear it to the convention and other such events.
Now that Sheeta’s pants are done, I can move on to her poofy yellow top and bright orange belt. I found a pattern to use as a base for her shirt. I’m going to guesstimate on her belt, and I still have not idea how to make the silver clasp.
As the convention approaches faster than I anticipated, I realized that I will be lucky to make, let alone complete, three costumes. Since that is the case, I changed my costume line up slightly. Instead of making Fio Piccolo’s pilot jumpsuit, I decided, after a long and difficult process and search, to make Toph Fire Nation disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender. The costume is less detailed sewing technique wise and follows a very basic design.
For those of you who don’t know, this is Toph Bei Fong in her Fire Nation disguise.
Her full costume.
Costume without over bands/wrap.
A couple back shots.
The convention is fast approaching and I still don’t have any of my costumes done. I’ve been busy lately preparing for 4-H demonstrations, fair, and camp. I was able to help my sister with her camp costume last week. It was very fun. She is a fast learner and did a wonderful job. I was also able to make a pair of Medieval shoes this week as well.
I started them last Friday, a day before camp started, and didn’t finish them until Wednesday,during the middle of camp. They were so much fun to make as well as annoying. I am so thankful for store bought shoes now. They look soo pretty. I’ll have to take a picture sometime soon. Sorry about the other late pictures. I’ll try to get some pictures up here soon as time permits.
I have a bit more time now that camp season is over. I’m planning to get working on my costumes soon. I only have a week or two until the convention. So I’m gonna need all the time I can get.