RSS Feed

Category Archives: Hurray

Vorfeed Update 2

Posted on

The dress is done.  It looks beautiful and twice as good as I thought it would.  I was initially worried that it wouldn’t look right or even recognizable with my modifications, but everything worked out better then planned.  Also I set a new record for dress making, around 21 hours total.  My last record was around 22 to 23 hours total.  ^_^  I keep getting better and faster each time I make a new cosplay.  Practicing perfectly makes a skill even better. 

Now on to the hard part, the gloves.  I have an idea for how to make the pattern work around the non-stretch fabric.  I trace my arm and half my hand.  Then make a separate thumb piece.  I add a seam allowance, cut the pieces out, and sew it all together.  Then I make, cut out, and sew the puffs to the rest of the glove.  It should work.  I’m using a pattern and tutorial to make sure I get the construction and basic shapes right.  I haven’t quite worked out when to add the ribbon detailing.  I don’t know if I should appliqué it on or tack it on after the gloves are done.  Other than that, I have most of my glove problem worked out.  I’m sure it’ll work too. 

New Discovery and Old Progress

While thinking up how to make my Voyage of the Dawn Treader costume, I stumbled across an awesome idea.  I’m always having to buy multiples of the same patterns because I modify just about any pattern I get to achieve a desired costume.  This method of pattern modification is rather expensive and I can’t afford to keep going that route any more.  So I came up with my own idea to the solve the problem.  After I read a really helpful tutorial on how to conserve pattern pieces, an idea struck me.  Cut out the pattern pieces to the desired size, follow the tutorial to back them, and use chalk to trace out the pieces onto the desired fabric.  This way I can make any modification I want to a pattern piece without wasting a pattern!  It’s so cool and brilliant!  Right now I’m trying out my idea with my newest project, Susan’s Narnia from Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  That brings me to my next subject.

I just started Susan’s dress today, tonight actually.  I’m using the above method to make the pieces I need for the dress.  So far it’s working wonderfully!  Right now I have the first two pieces cut out and am working on the third.  It takes me much longer to cut out the pieces because I have to lay out the original pattern piece and pin it down, trace the outline and markings to the fabric with chalk (I’m using paper chalk and it’s working just fine.  It comes off with water too), unpin the pattern piece and place it to the side, then I finally cut the piece out of the fabric by cutting along the chalk lines.  It’s so much fun!  It’s like a giant connect the dots and cut out the paper doll project!  I love it! 

I should be done cutting out the pieces sometime tonight.  I hope to pleat the front panel and sew the first part of dress by tonight/early tomorrow morning too.  Well, I better get back to work if I’m to get all that done!  Talk to you soon!

Update

Posted on

Wow!  Sorry for the late update.  Things have been really hectic around here.  Fair started today.  I’ve spent the last week and a half running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to prepare.  I entered my Civil War ball gown and two formal dresses that I made this year.  All got blue ribbons!!!!!!  *^_^*  I’m really happy that all of my hard work paid off.  It pays to do things well even if it takes longer and the task looks  daunting. 

Sheeta Progress Report 1

Posted on

They’re done!!!!!!!  My pink poofy pants are done!!!!  It took me five hours but after careful evaluation and reconsideration of the pattern I planned to use I arrived at my final product.    spantsfront spantsback spantsside

Now that Sheeta’s pants are done, I can move on to her poofy yellow top and bright orange belt.  I found a pattern to use as a base for her shirt.  I’m going to guesstimate on her belt, and I still have not idea how to make the silver clasp.