RSS Feed

Category Archives: total “grrrrrr” moment

Stupid Machine!

I really want to demolish my sewing machine.  The darn thing seems to think that it’s smarter than me and should tell me what to do.  The stitch are too lose, the tension is wacked, and the needle won’t slow down enough.  Every time I try to fix it something else goes out of line.  This is so frustrating!  It’s been happening all morning!  Why won’t my machine just work?!  Ugh!  I just want to destroy it right now. 

I’ll give it a break and resume sewing later.   I should be calm by then.  Maybe it will even start working again. 

Sewing Machine Trouble

What a hassle these machines can be.  It’s barely a week till Halloween and my darn machine blows a fuse and stops working.  Darn thing!  Now I have three costumes for make pieces for and no machine.  *growl and pout*  Nevertheless, I’ll get them done.  I’ve already finished hand sewing my sister’s Lucy pants, and she might wear another shirt for the time being.  I’m still trying to figure out how to make the rest in time.

Troubles and Annoyances (Sheeta Progress Report 2)

Posted on

Well my Sheeta costume is nearly done.  The pants are complete and just as awesome as I’d hoped.  The shirt is another story.  I thought I had the shirt nearly perfect, but I was wrong.  Turns out the shirt ended up being too short waisted.  On top of that, the pants don’t go up high enough to compensate for the shirt and I’m out of the shirt fabric.  ;_;  Not to mention that I’m pretty much out of money because I have to pay for the convention pass as well as have a bit of spending money for the convention. 

To help with my problem, I made the belt a bit bigger than need be.  I’m also considering adding hooks and eyes to the bottom of the top and the top of the bottoms.  Hopefully that should keep the shirt where it needs to be without pulling on the pants too much, though I fear the latter to be the actual case.  My other option is to attach the belt to the top somehow without making the attachment permanent.  I was thinking of using either hooks and eyes or snaps to this idea. 

Other than that, my project is going well.  So far, except for the mishaps, it’s turned out better than anticipated.  I was a little worried about using the patterns I chose, especially since I had to modify them moderately.  They turned out so much better than my fears allotted.  I just have to remember that collars adjust the length of a garment by at least two inches.  Life lessons, those are well learned and adapted. 

Another New Prom Dress

Posted on

Darn patterns!  I do not like how much ease is incorporated into ready make prom dress patterns.  It can mess up perfectly wonderful dresses and turn them into alteration nightmares. 

Ok, Joanns Fabrics is having the Own Your Look prom dress contest.  Naturally, I decide to make another new prom dress for it.  Prom was in a couple weeks anyway and a ginormous sale was going on at Joanns.  Casa Collection fabric for 50% off is a huge deal.  I get my fabric and embellishments or as many as I can considering that I went on either the last or the second to last day of the sale.  Everything was pretty much picked over, but I found what I wanted (even though I had to back six times). With that done and taken care of, I finished up school and graduated.  My school’s prom is weird since it’s after school is officially over. 

Anyway, so I start on the dress.  Following the pattern perfectly, I carefully constructed my work of art.  Even though it took me just under a week, I was very happy to finish up the last details.  Or so I thought.  Excitedly, I tried on the dress only to find that it was at least 2 inches too big.  I was very distraught (I still am a bit) and mad at the pattern.  Even though I had followed it perfectly, the dress still turned out too big.  I realized that I forgot about this annoying thing called ease that is included in every store bought pattern.  Boy, is it a hassle sometimes. 

Frustrated, I tried to alter that dress but to no avail.  I was still too upset about the mis-sizing.  So, I put (ok, threw) the dress in my redo corner and focused on the matching shrug instead.  The shrug turned out exactly as the pattern said.  I didn’t even have to alter the pattern for too much ease.  Heartened by the success of the shrug, I began to alter the dress.  At first it didn’t work so well till I prayed and got the idea to put darts in the bodice and an adjustable bow around the waistband.  Both alterations worked really well!  I reduced the bodice to nearly my size (I still have to put in a couple more darts) and made the waistband look like it actually fit me.  I just have to fix the skirt a bit.  Since the dress has a high waist, the skirt makes me look a bit (ok, more than a bit) bottom heavy and slightly pregnant even though I’m neither.  I know that because of the cut there is not much I can do, but I still want to try to slim out the skirt a bit.